Friday, January 17, 2014

TIPS AND TRICKS: HOW TO MAKE A SURVIVAL BRACELET

How To Make A Survival Bracelet...

We've all seen them. Those survival bracelets made from 550 parachute cord. Bear Grylls (as far as I can tell) brought on their popularity among adventurers and it has since become a fashion statement.

I wear one everyday.

I have heard a lot of fellow adventurers say that it's a waste, there's not enough cord there to matter, and various other negative statements about them. I have no idea why some people think that way. In a real survival situation, any resource is a good resource. Why wouldn't you want one?

Eight ot ten feet of 550 cord can serve plenty of purposes when the chips are down. You can use them to help lash a shelter, mark a trail, or hang your food. You can use the strands inside for fishing line, sewing thread, snares, and even dental floss.

In my mind, even if it's trendy, you shouldn't leave home without one. I subscribe to the old survivalists theory of "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

So that poses the next two questions... "How do I make one?" and "Why make one when they are so cheap to buy?"

Let me answer these in reverse order. As to why you would want to make one... you might use the one you wear while you are on the trail and need to make another when you get back to base camp and your big roll of 550 cord.
As to how to make one... well Heritage Pride Firearms made a very detailed video on the subject... check it out below. Then make one for yourself...


No comments:

Post a Comment